Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

“HRM02: Reform the General Schedule Classification and Basic Pay System.” In Reinventing Human Resource Management, Accompanying Report of the National Performance Review. Washington, DC : Office of the Vice President , September , 1993

September 1993

Office of the Vice President

Download PDF

From the report: “Approximately 1.6 million federal civilian employees--about 75 percent of the nonpostal civilian workforce--are covered by the General Schedule (GS) classification and basic pay system. (The remaining 25 percent are covered under a variety of special pay systems, the largest of which is the Federal Wage System, which covers over 300,000 blue-collar employees in trades and crafts occupations.) The GS system was established in 1949 and was intended to provide a standard framework for establishing the pay hierarchy for federal employees in white-collar occupations.”



Office of the Vice President


PDF - Download

Related Resources