Skip to main content Skip to footer site map

5.5% vs. 19.5% Pay Raise: Senate Diverges from House on How Much to Boost Junior Enlisted Paychecks

June 13, 2024

Rebecca Kheel

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., speaks with Major General Johnny K. Davis, USA, Commanding General, United States Army Recruiting Command and Rear Admiral Alexis T. Walker, USN, Commander, Navy Recruiting Command during the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Personnel hearing to examine the status of Department of Defense recruiting efforts and plans for fiscal year 2024, on Capitol Hill in Washington Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2023. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana)

By Rebecca Kheel, / June 12, 2024

Junior troops would see a 5.5% pay bump under a Senate plan unveiled Wednesday, setting up a clash with a House proposal to give enlisted members a significantly larger salary boost.

Under the Senate Armed Services Committee's draft of the annual defense policy bill, service members of all ranks would get a 4.5% pay raise next year. Troops in the paygrades of E-1 through E-3 would get an extra 1% on top of that, for a total 5.5% raise.

With the Senate's more modest proposal and the White House's objection to any targeted boost to junior enlisted pay before an administration study on military compensation is finished, the fate of the House plan to give E-1s through E-4s a 19.5% pay hike next year is growing shaky.

Read the rest of the article here: